A Penny For Your Thoughts

There's something that can be said about the general person's behavior. We're actually quite tame. I mean, you go to a movie or a performance of some kind and generally no one radomly yells or shouts loud obscenities. Have you ever thought about what would happen if you did? I mean honestly nothing is stopping a person from behaving in that maner. Yeah its rude and everything, but who's stopping you?
Generally not everyone speaks their mind. Someone can say the most ridiculous comment and you want to tell them how dumb they are and rip apart their life; but you don't. Why not? What's stopping you?
Everyone is holding something back. Maybe its a scream or maybe its a comment or maybe its a tear or a cry of pain. Maybe they don't even know what they're holding back because they're holding it back from themselves. I like to think that I'm an intelligent person and that I generally seem to know what I'm talking about. I think I've hit the nail on the head here...

Lately I've been that person. Holding back that scream or that particular comment. I am so incredibly stressed out. And I'm even more stressed out by the people who don't appreciate what they've got. Life. Freedom. Family. Happiness.
My Dad is getting his kidney (the leftover diseased one) removed December 27th. At this point, this is a tentative date, but we're pretty positive that that's when its going to be. My parents wedding anniversary is the next day, the 28th. New years is right around the corner. You could safely say that our Holiday season may be quite busy.
Don't get me wrong, I'm so incredibly happy and thankful the surgery is happening, I can't even begin to express how thankful I am for the doctors and the chances that my dad has been given. I guess the date just isn't our first choice. Their wedding anniversary in the hospital? Sheesh....
It'll be okay though. We'll all be together and we'll make it work. I'm just scared I guess. I'm not looking forward to the stress of another surgery.
I don't know how my dad does it, stay strong, I mean. He balances it all with incredible strength. My only wish is that I could become atleast half the person that my father is now. I wish that those of you who are reading this could meet him. He'd change your life, or atleast touch it significantly...

Thanks again for the stories and words of encouragement, guys. Have a good Thanksgiving tomorrow, make sure to eat lots. I'm pretty excited, because this is the first Thanksgiving since the transplant, and my Dad won't have to watch his potassium intake. (That means he can eat those mashed potatoes!)

I've been mentally making a list of things that I'm thankful.
One of the things at the top is Lori. I guess I could call that organ donations in general.
Then there's family and friends.
And warmth and shelter.
And love and life.
And everything nice... :)
Then you can add the PKD Community who has made this burden that we are all bearing a little bit lighter.
And of course the doctors that save lives every day.
And the others that put smiles on faces that seem a bit empty.

Ugh. I need to work on my list some more I think. :) What's yours like?

Moral of the story? I'm okay. We're okay. Dad's okay. And he's going to be even better after the surgery.
And me? I'll continue to abide by society's rules...to a certain extent anyway... :)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND STUFF!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Lydia, Im the mother of a PKD patient who had a transplant 5 years ago. YOu know when we found out he had PKD and I researched it, I was as scared and upset as you were. And even when he had his transplant, I was still upset, knowing it was not a cure. But you know seeing him now with his own son, I realize that as bad as this can be with all the pill taking, and all the possible side effects,,,,,,there are people out there who have it so much worse then we do. Yes he has a terrible disease; yes, he will have to take pills forever;yes, he is unable to do some things now; but he is here, working, raising his son,able to go on to school,to go on with a not bad quality of life, and for that Im very grateful. Hoosier Mother

Popular Posts