And the Award for the Abandoned Blog goes to....

Hello All!

It's been far too long since I've written one of these, and I'm sorry! I've been swamped with life and school and whatnot. I got accepted into the Butler Theatre Program, so I will defineltely be there next year!

Through this blog I had the great experience of connecting with someone my age who has PKD. Her name is Kristen and she's 20. It was great to talk to her and share our experiences. It wasn't face to face or anything, but it was over the phone and that was nice. She goes to IUPUI and will be around when I'm at Butler next year.

She mentioned insurance rates, and I realized that I had forgotten about those completely. It stinks that PKD people, and others with pre-existing medical conditions have higher rates. I did that thing for PKD Advocacy when you called all the people that were voting on the bill. I hope that works... and SOON!

Dad is doing quite well. He had some trouble sleeping after the surgery, and was still in a lot of pain. But he's his old self again, doing cartwheels and back handsprings.
Kidding.
He never did that.
However, he did trim his hair. And I'm still not too happy about that, but he said it was thinning out because of the meds and he felt like he was lying to himself keeping it so long.

Life is good. And I hope all of you are as well.


OH! Today I heard the rumor that tea is bad for your kidneys.
Is this true?
I heard green tea and tea with ice cream.
Being a dedicated tea drinker myself, I would really like to get to the bottom of this.
So let me know what you know!

Comments

Bob said…
Congratulations on being accepted into Butler!

I'm no expert, but I think the concern about tea is mostly due to the caffeine. This site has a bunch of information, although I couldn't speak to how reliable it is.
Anonymous said…
Hi Lidia,
Good to hear you back. I don't know about green tea but I do know that it can affect prograf levels and that is a drug your dad may be on for rejection. I have a site for you that I wish I found before my transplant http://www.pkdiet.com/ It has some good advice a great selection of medical articles. I prefer to avoid diet claims and to follow advice based in fact but that is the engineer in me. It does suggest that PKD patients limit their caffeine. Since tea has less caffeine than coffee in moderation it probably would be OK. My transplant is going well and I am glad to hear your dad is doing well. Keep well.
John S
Unknown said…
I had a transplant almost 3 years ago. My doctors told me not to eat grapefruits and do not drink green tea.

I'm glad your dad is doing great!
Anonymous said…
Amiable fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Popular Posts