So I just had the pleasure of reading an incredible book. And I mean an INCREDIBLE book! It’s called Driving Sideways and it’s by Jess Riley. It’s about this girl in her 20’s who had PKD and has recently undergone a transplant. The transplant was successful (and sounded familiar to me) so she decides to go on a road trip where she encounters many hilarious and wonderful people/things. It was an incredible book because it read well and was funny (I laughed out loud on the plane and had people staring at me like I was a fool), but it was even more incredible because I connected with it. It was so nice to read a book about someone with PKD because it showed that I am not alone in the way that I feel. I know that I’m not because I know other people with the same problems, but it’s pretty neat to have a fiction book written about it.
When I was reading it, the main character said and felt a lot of the things and ways that I feel myself. She even said something about not having kids because she didn’t want to pass on the PKD to them. I mean, I feel that way right now and some people just don’t seem to understand. It was a wonderful experience and I’ve been telling all my friends, with or without PKD, to read it because it’s just that good. She connected with her readers in a way that I haven’t connected with other books that I’ve read.

I’m currently in Kansas at Lori’s, Dad’s kidney donor, house. We came down here for a mini reunion because we haven’t seen each other in a while. The 26th was the official 1 year anniversary of the transplant, and Dad is doing great! He was driving in the car right around the time that he was in a hospital bed a year ago. HE went to see the doctor that morning and he was taken off of one of his medicines, the antibiotic, because he’s been so healthy. He said that he doctor was very impressed with him because he maintains his Creatinine levels. Dad’s really good about drinking enough water all the time. The tip that the nutritionist gave him was to take his body weight, divide it by two, and then drink that amount in ounces. Example: you weigh 150 lbs, you drink 75 ounces a day. He was telling my great aunt the other day (the one with PKD) that water is a really good thing to constantly drink.

Anyhoo- I’m being a bit anti-social and not joining in with Lori and her family and my family too, so I’m going to post this and then join in on the festivities. I hope everyone is well, and it has been great to hear from some of you guys! Take care- drink your water and read Driving Sideways!

(That sounded a bit like an advertisement. My bad. I just want everyone else to read it because I loved it so much and it made me feel so much better and not alone)

Comments

Bob said…
Oops. I see I posted my comment in the wrong place. I meant that your story (the interview) was a great story. Jess's story is probably good, too, but I haven't actually read it, so I wouldn't know.

Popular Posts