Long and Winding Road

So first of all. The walk was amazing. I actually meant to post something when I got home, but my computer decided to crap out on me. :(

We got to talk with a lot of people, and I (with the help of a lot of amazing people) raised about/possibly over $2,000! Donations are still coming in, and I have about 5 more checks to mail in. The support system has been amazing. It just reminds you how many people are out there that genuinely care. Dad compared it to getting all the get well soon cards during the time of the transplant. He didn't completely understand how many people were there for him, and then they all came flooding in as reminder, keeping his spirits up.

I'm really using the fundraising/walk experience to find hope. Things are getting a tad more stressful in my daily life, and I'm realizing a lot of things.

Dad has a cold, and he's had it for a few days. With the meds, he can't fight it as fast, so something that would have taken 2-3 days to get over can take up to 10, if not more. That's hard to watch. It's just another reminder that it doesn't leave you. The kidney may be gone, but his life will still be completely different.

I have a lot to say, but I'm in that "tornado frame of mind". All my thoughts are spinning around, and I am having trouble catching any.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Lydie,

I just found your blog and wanted to thank you for taking the time to do this. My husband has PKD and has been on the transplant list for almost 3 years now. (He's doing nightly PD right now, but we're having adequacy issues.) We have a little girl who just turned 3, and as yet we've not had her tested to see if she inherited the gene. (Partly on the advice of one of my hubby's nephrologists and partly because she's too young to deal with it at this point anyway.)

I'm so happy that things are going well for your father's recovery (as well as for his donor), and I'm grateful that you are participating in the studies here in CO. I hope that research like this finds something soon. For you and for all of us dealing with this disease.

I look forward to reading more of your blog in the future. Take care,

Kathy
Centennial, CO

P.S. Do you or your mom have any advice for the future when my daughter begins to understand all of this?

Popular Posts