Grocery Store Shopping

So I went shopping with my dad yesterday at Martins and I saw this lady wearing a PKD WALK shirt. I said hello and mentioned that I went on that walk in St. Joe Michigan, and that her shirt was the only other one that I've seen in South Bend. She then went on to tell me that her friend was the one that had PKD and had a transplant in November. So we talked about that situation.
Her friend went to the MAYO clinic in Minnesota, and she said she was out there for about a month. And that her friend's kidneys had gotten so large that they had to take them both out before she had the (live donor) transplant. I guess they rented an apartment that the clinic had made possible for the patients/ family to live in.
It felt so good to talk to someone that had a PKD transplant. My dad talked to her to, and I thought it was a neat thing to run into someone else that was affected by the disease, but had a good positive story.

I still think it will be a week or so before we find out if Lori will be the donor. Sometimes I feel like such a jerk, because I know that this transplant will take up a lot of my summer. Or my time. And I get frusterated with the whole ordeal. But then I think about it. It will be so good for my dad to not have to constantly worry about what his potassium levels are, or to check his blood pressure. And he's not a the COMPLETE discomfort stage yet, but I mean, when I hug him, I can feel his kidneys from his stomach.
I'm nervous about doing this transplant down in INDY. They don't really have those homes set up for families, so I don't know where we'd stay. Or if we'd have to drive back and forth a lot. But I'm even more nervous that this donor may fall through.
Keep us in your Prayers!

Comments

Popular Posts